2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Posted by: Scott Stewart, MSAc., Dipl.Ac., LAc.
High cholesterol is a common symptom among both men and women, especially in Western countries. For many, it can be a precursor to cardiovascular and coronary heart disease. Luckily, both these diseases are preventable!
In terms of elevated cholesterol, the first thing you want to do on your pathway to wellness, is modify your lifestyle beginning with your diet. Below are 10 healthy foods, which in moderation, can help lower cholesterol.
1. Wang L, Bordi PL, Fleming JA, Hill AM, Kris-Etherton PM. Effect of a moderate fat diet with and without avocados on lipoprotein particle number, size and subclasses in overweight and obese adults: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Heart Assoc. 2015 Jan 7;4(1):e001355. doi: 0.1161/JAHA.114.001355.
2. Guasch-Ferré M, Liu X, Malik VS, Sun Q, Willett WC, Manson JE, Rexrode KM, Li Y, Hu FB, Bhupathiraju SN. Nut Consumption and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017 Nov 14;70(20):2519-2532. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2017.09.035.
3. Waterman E, Lockwood B. Active components and clinical applications of olive oil. Altern Med Rev. 2007 Dec;12(4):331-42.
4. Othman RA, Moghadasian MH, Jones PJ. Cholesterol-lowering effects of oat β-glucan. Nutr Rev. 2011 Jun;69(6):299-309. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00401.x.
5. Novotny JA, Baer DJ, Khoo C, Gebauer SK, Charron CS. Cranberry juice consumption lowers markers of cardiometabolic risk, including blood pressure and circulating C-reactive protein, triglyceride, and glucose concentrations in adults. J Nutr. 2015 Jun;145(6):1185-93. doi: 10.3945/jn.114.203190. Epub 2015 Apr 22.
6. Lippi G, Franchini M, Favaloro EJ, Targher G. Moderate red wine consumption and cardiovascular disease risk: beyond the "French paradox". Semin Thromb Hemost. 2010 Feb;36(1):59-70. doi: 10.1055/s-0030-1248725. Epub 2010 Apr 13.
7. Qin Y, Xia M, Ma J, Hao Y, Liu J, Mou H, Cao L, Ling W. Anthocyanin supplementation improves serum LDL- and HDL-cholesterol concentrations associated with the inhibition of cholesteryl ester transfer protein in dyslipidemic subjects. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Sep;90(3):485-92. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2009.27814. Epub 2009 Jul 29.
8. Chunyang Du,* Yonghong Shi,* Yunzhuo Ren, Haijiang Wu, Fang Yao, Jinying Wei, Ming Wu, Yanjuan Hou,and Huijun Duan. Anthocyanins inhibit high-glucose-induced cholesterol accumulation and inflammation by activating LXRα pathway in HK-2 cells. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2015; 9: 5099–5113. Published online 2015 Sep 4. doi: 10.2147/DDDT.S90201. PMCID: PMC4567235. PMID: 26379423