Posted by Scott Stewartr, MSAc., L:Ac., Dipl.Ac.
1. Eat right - Diet is crucial in maintaining a healthy state. You want to eat lots of vegetables and fresh fruits in a 2:1 ratio. Include good fats, meat in moderation (free range, antibiotic & hormone - free), limited or no dairy, an anti-inflammatory diet, cruciferous veggies, dark leafy greens, and legumes. Limit alcohol intake.
2. Manage stress - This is a big problem for Americans, because they love to create stressful situations. Find positive ways to deal with these situations . . . in the moment. This can be done with deep breathing exercises, meditation, physical exercise, calming music, etc. Find what works for you.
3. Quit smoking - Smoking causes vaso-constriction of blood vessels, and limits blood & oxygen flow to the periphery. Two different studies have found that there is a direct correlation between the number of cigarettes smoked per day, the duration of the smoking habit and increased risk of ED. (1,2)
4. Lose weight - If you're over weight, make an effort to drop those pounds and get into shape. Studies show that both smoking and obesity are contributing factors for increased risk of ED. (3)
5. A good night's rest - Good sleep is very important for health in general, but specifically for ED, because it helps maintain optimal levels of testosterone.
4 Exercises to Improve Sexual Health
Back to blog
[i] Mirone V, Imbimbo C, Bortolotti A, Di Cintio E, Colli E, Landoni M, Lavezzari M, Parazzini F. Cigarette smoking as risk factor for erectile dysfunction: results from an Italian epidemiological study. Eur Urol. 2002 Mar;41(3):294-7.
[ii] Cao S, Gan Y, Dong X, Liu J, Lu Z. Association of quantity and duration of smoking with erectile dysfunction: a dose-response meta-analysis. J Sex Med. 2014 Oct;11(10):2376-84. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12641. Epub 2014 Jul 22.
[iii] Bacon CG, Mittleman MA, Kawachi I, Giovannucci E, Glasser DB, Rimm EB. A prospective study of risk factors for erectile dysfunction. J Urol. 2006 Jul;176(1):217-21.
Healing Lotus Acupuncture (inside Moline Chiropractic Clinic)
4300 12th Avenue | Moline, IL
(309) 764.4753 email@example.com