Electro - acupuncture (EA) is acupuncture, but with the addition of a low frequency (20Hz), electrical current that is passed through a pair of selected needles. This constant and consistent stimulation produces rapid therapeutic effects, which usually take longer to achieve with manual stimulation (twirling the needle between the fingers). There are a wide range of conditions that can be treated with EA such as: pain, gastrointestinal issues, muscle, joint and ligament injuries, etc., etc.
Evidence - Based Effects and Indications of Electroacupuncture (short - list):
1. Kim HW, Roh DH, Yoon SY, Kang SY, Kwon YB, Han HJ, Lee HJ, Choi SM, Ryu YH, Beitz AJ, Lee JH. The anti-inflammatory effects of low- and high-frequency electroacupuncture are mediated by peripheral opioids in a mouse air pouch inflammation model. J Altern Complement Med. 2006 Jan-Feb;12(1):39-44.
2. Hyun-Woo Kima, Suk-Yun Kanga, Seo-Yeon Yoona, Dae-Hyun Roha, Young-Bae Kwonb, Ho-Jae Hanc, Hye-Jung Leed, Alvin J. Beitze, Jang-Hern Leea. Low-frequency electroacupuncture suppresses zymosan-induced peripheral inflammation via activation of sympathetic post-ganglionic neurons. Brain Res. 2007 May 7;1148:69-75. Epub 2007 Feb 24.
3. Zhang R, Lao L, Ren K, Berman BM.Mechanisms of acupuncture-electroacupuncture on persistent pain.Anesthesiology. 2014 Feb;120(2):482-503. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0000000000000101.
4. Parmen V1, Taulescu M2, Ober C3, Pestean C3, Oana L3. Influence of electroacupuncture on the soft tissue healing process. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2014 Oct;7(5):243-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jams.2014.03.003. Epub 2014 Mar 30.
5. Zhou JW, Li J, Li N, Zhang F, Hu LX, Zhao JJ, Zhang Y, Wang CW.[Transient analgesic effect of electroacupuncture at Taiyang (EX-HN 5) for treatment of migraine with hyperactivity of the liver-yang].Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2007 Mar;27(3):159-63. Chinese.
6. Li J, He J, Du Y1, Cui J, Ma Y, Zhang X. Electroacupuncture improves cerebral blood flow and attenuates moderate ischemic injury via Angiotensin II its receptors-mediated mechanism in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014 Nov 11;14:441. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-441.
7. Wang WD1, Lu XY, Ng SM, Hong L, Zhao Y, Lin YN, Wang F.Effects of electro-acupuncture on personality traits in depression: a randomized controlled study. Chin J Integr Med. 2013 Oct;19(10):777-82. doi: 10.1007/s11655-013-1594-4. Epub 2013 Oct 4.
8. Dias M1, Vellarde GC, Olej B, Teófilo Salgado AE, de Barros Rezende I. Effects of electroacupuncture on stress-related symptoms in medical students: a randomised placebo-controlled study. Acupunct Med. 2014 Feb;32(1):4-11. doi: 10.1136/acupmed-2013-010408. Epub 2013 Oct 10.